There are many types of betta fish, but the red and blue versions are the most common. They’re also the most beautiful. These colors stand out among all other types of bettas. Red and blue bettas have striking similarities as well as differences. Both types have brilliant hues and patterns that make them stand out from other kinds of betta fish. However, they have different needs when it comes to care, housing requirements, and diet. If you’re interested in learning more about the rarer red or blue bettas, keep reading for some great tips on how to care for betta fish.
What is a Red Betta?
Red bettas are rarer betta fish that aren’t blue. They typically have a yellow or orange color, with some red highlights. The orange shades of the red betta make it a more common fish than the blue betta. Orange bettas are so common that they can even be found in pet stores. Orange bettas are great starter fish. Red bettas aren’t as finicky as blue bettas, and they’re easier to find.
A Blue Betta
Blue bettas are a rarer betta variety than red bettas. They’re also one of the most beautiful fish you can keep in your home. Blue bettas have a shiny metallic sheen that makes them look almost otherworldly. Blue bettas are much harder to find than red bettas. Because of this, they’re also more expensive. Blue bettas are also trickier to keep than red bettas. You’ll want to be extra careful with their water conditions, and they require more space.
Care of Red Bettas
One of the main differences between blue and red bettas in their care. Red bettas are slightly less finicky than blue bettas, so they’re easier to care for. That doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t be careful. Red bettas do still have some specific needs that you need to follow.
– Temperature – Red bettas prefer a warmer water temperature than blue bettas. Ideally, you should have the water around 76 degrees Fahrenheit.
– Water quality – Red bettas are more sensitive to water conditions than blue bettas. They need warmer water to thrive, but warmer water holds more waste and can be harder to clean.
– Diet – Red bettas also have different dietary needs than blue bettas. They prefer smaller pellets, while blue bettas can eat larger pellets.
– Space – Red bettas need a larger tank than blue bettas, around 2 gallons per fish. This is because they prefer warmer water, which holds more waste. An overstuffed tank can quickly lead to disease.
Care of Blue Bettas
Blue bettas have different care needs than red bettas. They’re slightly more delicate and require more attention to water conditions. Although blue bettas are more finicky than red bettas, they’re still beautiful fish that make great pets.
– Temperature – Blue bettas prefer cooler water than red bettas. Ideally, you should keep their water around 72 degrees Fahrenheit.
– Water quality – Blue bettas are also sensitive to water conditions. They need clean water, but warm water also holds more waste.
– Diet – Blue bettas should eat larger pellets than red bettas. Ideally, they should eat pellets that are no smaller than the fish’s eye.
– Space – Blue bettas need a larger tank than red bettas, around 3 gallons per fish. This is because they prefer cooler water, which holds less waste.
Housing for Both Types of Rare Bettas
The best way to care for both types of rare bettas is to give them a tank that they can grow into. Many pet stores sell bettas in tiny 1-gallon fish bowls. These bowls are far too small for a betta. If you’re buying a betta from a pet store, you need to be sure that you get a bigger tank. One of the best ways to house rare bettas is with a tank that is at least 2 gallons per betta.
That way, your fish will have enough room to swim as well as a place to hide if they want to. One important thing to note is that most people recommend a glass tank over a plastic one. While plastic tanks are cheaper, glass tanks are easier to clean and hold water better.
Red bettas and blue bettas are two types of bettas with beautiful, bright colors. They’re also two of the rarer betta fish. While they have different needs, they both make excellent pets. If you’re looking to add a rare betta to your home, keep these tips in mind. And don’t forget to enjoy the beauty of these amazing fish.