Following a car accident or a slip & fall mishap, you may have many questions on your mind. Who is responsible for your injuries? Can you file an injury claim and seek settlement for your losses? What is your case worth? A personal injury attorney Houston can answer these questions and ensure that you get a fair outcome. Just hiring any random attorney is not enough – You need a reliable lawyer specializing in personal injury law. For your help, here are some quick tips to consider.
- Make a list. You need to find lawyers who are reliable and known. Your best bet is to ask around and get references, but if you are new in Houston, you can also rely on online resources. Websites like Nolo, Justia, and even search engines can help you sort the top lawyers in your area. As they say, Google has answers for everything.
- Be specific. Not all injury attorneys take up all types of cases. For instance, a lawyer may know well what it takes to fight a medical malpractice lawsuit, but they may not be adequately experienced in handling product defect-related cases. Always hire a lawyer who fits the needs of your claim. Don’t shy away from asking questions about their profile and cases they have won or lost so far.
- Start early. While you have two years to file most types of PI lawsuits in Texas, you should get an injury attorney on your side at the earliest. If you don’t work on gathering evidence and details early, you may end up missing key information. A lawyer can help you better when you are quick to hire them.
- Ask about the expenses. As far as the fee of an injury attorney, they will usually charge a share of your final settlement, called the contingency fee. The fee can vary depending on the lawyer’s work profile, experience, and the overall complications of your case. However, you may also have to pay for out-of-pocket expenses, which can also cost a lot. Having a ballpark will help you prep better.
- Always enquire about the trial experience. Personal injury cases don’t usually end up in trial because it could be a long-drawn and expensive option for all sides. However, it is important to hire an injury attorney who can handle a trial if needed.
Call an attorney and ask for a free consultation for your case.