If you have diabetes, you must see your doctor for regular check-ups. These appointments can help you stay on track with your treatment plan and avoid serious health complications. You need to understand that Bastrop diabetes is a chronic disease that needs to be managed over time.
During your check-up, your doctor will likely:
- Check your blood sugar levels: This will help determine if your current treatment plan is working. Your doctor may also check your A1C level, which gives them a better idea of how well your blood sugar has been controlled over the past few months.
- Check your blood pressure and cholesterol levels: High blood pressure and cholesterol can increase your heart disease and stroke risk.
- Check your feet: Diabetes can cause nerve damage and reduce blood flow to your feet. This can lead to serious foot problems, like ulcers and infections. Your doctor will check for any problems and give you tips on taking care of your feet.
- Review your medication list: Make sure you take all your diabetes medication as prescribed. Your doctor may also want to check for any drug interactions.
- Offer lifestyle advice: If you are having trouble managing your diabetes, your doctor can offer advice on diet, exercise, and stress relief.
- Answer any questions you have: This is your chance to ask your doctor anything about your diabetes.
There are numerous benefits of not skipping any of these appointments, and these are the amazing benefits that you will enjoy:
You will be able to detect any problem in the early stages
The earlier a problem is detected, the easier it is to treat. For example, if your blood sugar levels are rising, your doctor can adjust your medication or change your diet and exercise plan. This can help prevent serious health complications, like heart disease, stroke, and kidney damage.
You will have the opportunity to ask questions
If you have any questions about diabetes, this is the time to ask. Your doctor can provide information on diet, exercise, and stress relief. They can also offer advice on how your condition can be managed.
You will receive support and encouragement
It can be difficult to manage diabetes without professional help. During your check-up, your doctor can offer support and encouragement. This can help you stay motivated to stick with your treatment plan.
You will be able to catch complications early
If you have diabetes, you risk developing serious health complications. These complications include heart disease, stroke, kidney, and nerve damage. Your doctor will check for any signs of these complications during your check-up. If they are detected early, they can be treated more effectively.
It is essential to keep up with your regular check-ups, even if you are feeling healthy. These appointments can help you avoid serious health complications and improve overall health. Speak with Pompeyo Chavez, MD, about how often you should schedule a check-up and what you can expect during your appointment.